Monday 5 March 2018

Sunshine

"Sunshine? You're having a laugh aren't you!" were the words of my darling husband as he saw the card I had made for this week's Freshly Made Sketches ChallengeTeenage son's comment "Oh, the irony of it!" I suppose sums it up!  It's supposed to be Spring but we have been in the midst of the worst weather we've had in Scotland for years! They have been calling it the  "Beast from the East" - a weather front consisting of lots of snow and strong winds.

My sister was snowed in for three days as she lives in a small village that the snow ploughs never quite seem to get to, the snow drifting up to chest height.  We've not been quite so bad, the only drift we have is where the snow has blown up about 2ft against the shed door.  Our wee Jack Russell has been loving it - hates to get wet but loves the snow!  I opened the patio doors and the snow fell in so I started making snow balls and, to the delight of Jack, threw them into the garden for him to "catch".  Our next door neighbour's teenage daughter and two of her friends have built an igloo in their back garden - it took a couple of days but the three of them managed to get in it.  It was really nice to see it finished off with fairy lights!

I'm pleased to say that the thaw now seems to be setting in and we can get out and about again - we even got mail today, hooray!!!

I had recently bought a Tim Holtz Mixed Media set from Amazon Warehouse that I had been wanted, it that said it had damaged packaging - there was a couple of quid off it and free delivery so I thought why not.  It turned out one of the dies had a slight kink in it but this didn't affect it.  The die I was looking at was a mosaic effect & I was wanting to use it but not sure how but on a look through my stash I found a Sizzix set "Rainy Days and Sunshine" which had, funnily enough, sun dies and a pair of sunglasses.  The light bulb went off when it occured to me that the mosaic could be the bottom of a swimming pool!

This is the sketch:

  
and this is my interpretation.  The pineapple top I am trying to grow is pretending to be a palm tree:























The backgrounds are three shades of blue Distress Ink - Broken China, Salty Ocean & Faded Jeans and three shades of yellow/orange - Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey & Mustard Seed.  The background was coloured then once the mosaic die cut place on top, more colour added to blend in the top layer.  The area under the die cut and the central area of the die cut were stamped with Perfect Medium and embossing powder added to try & give the "pool" a wet look.

It's not very obvious but I used a die cut of the mosaic design to emboss some texture onto the orange/yellow cardstock.



2 comments:

  1. This is such a fun card! So much dimension and wonderful layout. I hope your thaw continues! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love your pool! Great win!

    ReplyDelete