Monday 25 April 2016

Just Because

Hard to believe that I have reached 100 posts - but I have and this is it!

The mature cherry tree opposite our house has finally decided that it's Spring and the first cluster of blossom has appeared. However, today, the weather hasn't decided what season it's meant to be! Never mind four seasons in one day we had four seasons in the space of an hour! Nice bright sunshine had the patio doors opened and our wee Jack out in the garden, next he came running into the house because he was being pelted with hailstones! The sun comes back out and I decided that I was going to go out and do some background papers with spray Distress Ink but the wind was making it go places I didn't really want it to and all of a sudden out of the sky came not hailstones this time but teeny, tiny, little snowballs - weird!

One of the reasons I was making background paper with Distress Ink is that I was wanting to use some for this week's Freshly Made Sketches Challenge.  I had a few attempts at making cards using the sketch but I wasn't entirely happy with them so decided to try something else instead.





Eventually I decided on using one of the Tim Holtz Mixed Media 2 dies to create a background and took it from there and came up with this:


















The doily die from the Mixed Media #2 set was cut into the card blank and the backed with card which had been sprayed with Distress Ink and bleach to create a background. A strip was cut from the background to create a strap of card to go under the die (I positioned it to match up to where it was cut from).



I used

Cardstock
A6 Card Blank - Papermania
White 300gsm - Fabiano

Dies & Stamps
Doily, Mixed Media #2 - Tim Holtz
Bird Crazy - Tim Holtz

Just Because - Paula Pascal Mixed Sentiments

Inks
Distress Ink Sprays - Tim Holtz
Assorted Promarkers


Here are the ones that didn't quite make it:

This was the first one.  I really wasn't happy with that orange blob in the middle - but as the sentiment says "Don't be afraid to make mistakes"!


























It was shortly followed by this one using a Crafter's Companion die coloured with Distress Ink. It was this one that gave me the idea using the Mixed Media die.




































I Used

Cardstock
White Smooth 300gsm - Fabiano

Dies, Embossing Folders & Stamps
Spring Garden - Crafter's Companion
Bird Crazy - Tim Holtz
Random Thoughts - Lindsay Mason
Don't Be Afraid - Lindsay Mason

Inks
Distress Inks - Tim Holtz
Onyx Black - Versafine
Assorted Promarkers



This one isn't based on the sketch but as I had stamped, coloured and cut out the bird out I decided to make a card with it anyway.








2 comments:

  1. Love that die on the first card. What a fun way to interpret that element of the sketch! And who doesn't love a crazy bird? :) Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous cards! I love these birds - they just make me smile! Congrats on 100 posts too! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete